Welcome to CaliforniaFishingLicense.org
We've compiled a plethora of information you'll need to know before baiting your hook, or reeling in your first fish in California waters. Read on to find out about California fishing regulations, obtaining a California fishing license, permit and more when fishing in the state of California. We're your source and guide for California fishing licenses and permits.
Having a California Commercial Fishing license will allow you to operate or assist in operating any boat, aircraft, net, trap, or line to take fish for commercial purposes. The fees for obtaining a CA Commercial Fishing License vary depending on the type of license you purchase as well as any permits or endorsements you might add on. Read moreCost of California Sport Fishing Licenses
Are you thinking of fishing in California? The prices for obtaining a California saltwater/freshwater fishing license (Sport Fishing License) varies according to the type of license you want to purchase. When obtaining a CA fishing license or permit, depending on the type of fishing you want to do, you might be required to also purchase a stamp endorsement. Read moreFishing in California From Out-of-State
Are you planning a fishing trip to California? As a nonresident, there are a few rules and regulations you should know about California fishing licenses before you make the trip. Read moreCalifornia Fishing Gear
Before you get out in California waters, you'll want to make sure you have the proper gear to haul in that big catch of the day. We've listed some gear suggestions to help make your CA fishing trip a success. Read moreCalifornia Fishing Destinations
Heading to California on a fishing vacation? Be sure to make the most out of your excursion by choosing the right fishing destination Read more
We've put together a California Fishing License Checklist & Forms Packet to assist you with the California fishing license process, as well as offer you helpful information on a myriad of fishing-related topics.
Click here to access the California Fishing License Checklist and Forms Packet.
- You should always know the good fishing spots in your area. Visit Takemefishing.org and input your location to find the hottest fishing spots in your area.
- Make sure you have a good fishing pole. It can make the difference between "the catch of your life" and "the one that got away".
- If you want to catch a specific fish, ask a bait-and-tackle store employee what bait that fish likes the most.
- When it comes to bait, it's in your best interest to use live bait. Fish are much more attracted to bait wiggling around in the water than bait that doesn't move.
- Don't fish in waters you know or think to be polluted.
- On a day-to-day basis, the best times to fish are sunrise and sunset.
- On a monthly basis, the best time to fish is when the moon is in between its new and full phase.
- Don't ruin your fishing trip by getting sunburnt. Wear sunblock that is at least SPF 30.
- If you're looking to catch bigger fish, you're going to need a boat to get out to the open water. Some of the tastiest fish, like grouper and dolphin, are caught in these waters.
- Keep in mind that fish like to swim near sandbars, riverbanks, piers and reefs, so if you fish near one of these, you should be in good shape!