This site is privately owned and is neither affiliated with, nor endorsed by, nor operated by any government agency. Visit the CDFW >


If you’re a nonresident or from out-of-state, you are required to have a California Sport Fishing license to legally fish in the state. Before you cast your line in California waters, here are a few helpful hints for nonresidents visiting the state of California for fishing.

1: Get Started with Online Application Services

Online application assistance can simplify and streamline the process for many California fishing-related services, including information on obtaining a new fishing license, fishing regulations in your state and fishing safety courses. In addition to the free forms and general instructions available from different California fishing organizations, you will receive a comprehensive Easy Guide specific to your needs, fast answers to tough questions and prompt service from a friendly staff.

2: Via the CDFW

If you prefer to access additional material on California fishing services and regulations, visit a state-specific online resource for extra support.

California Nonresident or Out-of-State Sport Fishing Licenses

A California Sport Fishing license is required of all nonresidents who fish in California waters. California Sport Fishing is defined as; any activity that involves taking fish, mollusks, crustaceans, invertebrates, amphibians or reptile in inland or ocean waters. To learn more about California Sport Fishing as well as licensing and regulations, please check out .  

Purchasing a California Nonresident or Out-of-State Sport Fishing License

When obtaining a CA Nonresident Sport Fishing license, your fees will vary depending on the type of license you are purchasing. To find out the cost of the type of California Nonresident Sport Fishing license you’re looking to purchase, go to . To purchase online, go to .  You can also pay at a CDFW Licensed Sales Office.  To find a location near you, visit . Last but not least, you can purchase by phone.  Just call toll-free: 800-565-1458.